Meet instructor Kevin (Pops) Rawlins in our next
Highlighting the Staff of Motive Action interview!
See what Instructor Kevin Pops Rawlins had to say when he agreed to be interviewed for our Blog:
What do you like best about working at Motive Action? What does it mean to you?
After 39 years of automotive experience, I feel I was hired not just to teach Automotive skills at Motive Action. The biggest part of this job is to coach and motivate, bring out the confidence in our students.
I am super happy (a fuzzy feeling sometimes with tears) when I see young students, female and male who have not been given a chance, struggled at school, come from troubled countries or difficult times achieve their goal, seeing their families turn up to the Graduation and the look on their faces when the marks are disclosed, and seeing the possibility of a great future in their lives.
I am working with a GREAT team who have made my transition to a teaching easy and so much fun!
What are some fun facts most people don’t know about you?
- Between the ages of 12 to 16 years old I built and raced Minis and from 17 to 21 years old I built and raced BRISCA F1 Stock cars.
- I came to Canada at the age of 21 from a town called Rugby where the game of Rugby was invented.
- I also lived in Gijon, North of Spain for 1 year, and Almerimar, in the South of Spain for 1 year.
What is your favourite hobby?
I like all kind of sports. Summer and winter, I play indoor and outdoor soccer 2 to 3 times a week, though it used to be 5 times a week. I would drive to Banff every Sunday to play in their league. In winter, skiing was an activity I used to do every weekend. I don’t do it as often as I would like to now but I would like to get back to it. Golf is another activity I like to do also, when I can fit it in to my summer schedule. All these activities do include Beer with friends.
What advice would you give in times of stress, such as during this pandemic self-isolation?
We will get through this!
- Keep active as much as possible without compromising others. Just keep your goal in hand.
- Avoid too much media; you need to keep updated but take break.
- Study, practice math. There is a lot online (such as Donut Videos – lots of them!)
- Read books
- Talk to friends, Zoom, Skype
- Stay home
- Wash your hands
- Work out at home or take a bike ride (please keep your distance!)
What is your dream car/truck/vehicle?
I am currently working on 2 projects at home, a 1968 Dodge truck and a 1966 Dodge 4 door sedan, but my dream car is the 1968 to 1976 Nissan Skyline GTR (an Old School JDM). I have owned 2 Datsun 510’s and 1989 240sx and my first car, which was a 1968 Ford Escort Mk1, is still a favorite.
Learn more about working at Motive Action, we might have the perfect opportunity for you!