Why choose the trades?
Trades careers have a lot going for the skilled men and women who work in them, for example
- Trades work offers a challenge. The work is interesting and you build skills the you can use across Canada
- A trades certificate can lead to jobs in sales, management, teaching opportunities and owning your own business
- Pay rates are generally good
- The many projects slated for the coming years and the aging workforce means an overall increase in future demand for skilled tradespeople. Employers need people with the right skills!
What is Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeship is the training to become a licensed trades person. It consists of on-the-job training and classroom instruction while under legal agreement.
The benefits of apprenticeship are:
- Earn a SALARY while LEARNING
- Get work experience
- Get theory instruction
- Low student debt
- Get Employment Insurance (EI) income while in school
- With a Red Seal you can work in other provinces
What is required to be successful in the trades?
- Good English and math skills
- Ability to solve problems
- Good communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Physically fit