Why choose the trades?
Trades careers have a lot going for the skilled men and women who work in them, for example
- Trades work is challenging. The work is interesting and you acquire skills you can use across Canada
- A trades certificate can lead to jobs in sales, management, teaching opportunities and owning your own business
- Pay rates are good
- As our aging workforce retires there will be an increase in demand for skilled tradespeople. Employers need people with the right skills!
What is Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeship is the training to become a licensed trades person. It consists of on-the-job training and classroom instruction while under legal agreement.
The benefits of apprenticeship are:
- Earn a SALARY while LEARNING
- Get work experience
- Get theory instruction
- Low student debt
- Get Employment Insurance (EI) income while in school
- With a Red Seal you can work in other provinces
What is required to be successful in the trades?
- Good English and math skills
- Ability to solve problems
- Good communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Physically fit