Do I qualify?
This is a government funded training program to help unemployed people start their careers in the trades.
To be eligible for the program you must:
- be ready, willing and able
- be 18 to 30 years of age. (Some exceptions are allowed for workers older than 30 years)
- be unemployed or working part-time less than 20hrs per week.
- need skills to become employed. The program is not designed for people who have skills already and want to change their career.
- be able to read and write English to a CLB Level 5 and know basic trades math. A Grade 12 education is not required but in order be ready for apprenticeship, the applicant must have satisfactory academic skills.
- have valid identification, an Alberta Health Care Number
- be out of the regular high school system for one year.
Once considered eligible, the successful applicant will be selected using the following criteria:
- Level of Education (English and math Academic abilities/grades): Grade 12 is not required but some Gr. 11 and Gr.12 subject are preferable.
- Amount of Work Experience:
- Finances ( ability to support yourself while in the program/funding options)
- Other achievements - Driver's License, References